Mmmm, lemon. Lemon is one of those flavors that I cannot get with in my every day cooking, but with my baking? Oh yes, I can eat a lemon cookie, cake or pie like no one’s business. These Vegan Lemon Cookies with Cashew Lemon Frosting were made for a coworker…thankfully, because I could have eaten these all myself! And I know, I know it isn’t very Halloween or Fallish, but these were definitely a nice change-up!
Oh lemon. A good friend to me; I always have lemon juice in a bottle in my fridge. I add it to my water bottle that I religiously carry. I haven’t ever made lemon cookies – surprising since these were so easy and I will for sure be making them again for sure. Just like any other cookie, but I used lemons. They were on sale at the local grocery store for $1 for six of them! What – it was meant to be for me to make these.
These longest part for these cookies was the cooling part. I refrigerated the dough for about an hour because it was really tacky. I wanted it to be in a ball. Next time I will smoosh them flat so they are more traditional looking. Mix all your dry ingredients in on bowl and wet in the other. Mix wet and dry then put tin foil over the boil and refrigerate. Bake at 350 for 15 minutes then let cool completely.
Vegan Lemon Cookies, 41 servings
2 C All Purpose Flour
1 Tsp Baking Soda
1/2 Tsp Baking Powder
1 C No Cal Sweetener
2 Lemons, juiced
2 Lemons, zested
1/2 C Tropical Traditions 100% Pure Virgin Coconut Oil
1 Tbsp Vanilla Paste
1 Tbsp Vanilla Extract
1 Flax Egg
1 C Cashews, soaked over night, drained
1 Tsp Vanilla Extract
1 Tsp Vanilla Paste
1/4 C Fresh Lemon Juice
1 Tbsp Lemon Zest
3 Tbsp No-Cal Sweetener
3 Tbsp Tropical Traditions 100% Pure Virgin Coconut Oil, liquid
For the frosting, the obvious long part is the soaking of the cashews. Soak the cashews overnight, then drain the liquid. While the cookies are baking add all ingredients to the blender and let them whirl. For the lemon juice, squeeze the juice into a small cup or container so the seeds don’t fall in. Believe me when I say it is not fun digging those little suckers out from the blender
1. For the cashews pour them into a container and fill over the cashews with water. Let soak overnight.
2. Add all dry cookie ingredients to a medium bowl and mix. Add wet ingredients to a larger bowl and mix well; carefully slice the lemons and be sure to juice the lemons over a cup so the seeds don’t fall into the bowl. Add dry to wet and mix well.
3. Cover bowl with foil and refrigerate one hour.
4. Turn oven to 350 degrees. Spray two cookie sheets with Pam or cover with parchment paper.
5. Using a teaspoon portion out your cookies. Bake for 15 minutes. Let cool completely.
6. While cookies are baking add drained cashews, vanilla’s, oil and sweetener to blender. Micro-plane the peel of all four lemons into the blender.
7. Carefully slice lemons in half and squeeze the juice for all halves into a cup. Pour juice into blender. Let whirl until frosting. Pour into container and refrigerate until cookies are cool.
8. Frost cookies and enjoy.
PS – these cookies were a total hit, and I have been asked to make them again