Even though it’s the new year and it’s diet time, it’s also a long weekend and that usually means carby breakfast time. Usually everyone is home or comes over for breakfast and what better way to have everyone around the table than with some type of potato? Since I don’t eat carbs, or breakfast for that matter, that often when I do want some it’s potatoes – they are just so comforting. I hope you get to enjoy some good carbs with these vegan and gluten-free Breakfast Mushroom Gravy Scalloped Potatoes.
I’m not really a breakfast eater, even on weekends. I try really hard, and go through fazes when I may get some overnight oats done for the week, but usually I just snack on nuts or some apples. Nothing big or filling. But when I do want breakfast? Some type of potato happens .. and it’s usually fried, because who doesn’t like fried potatoes for breakfast? This time i wasn’t wanting to smelled like fried oil and I wanted some mushrooms. Best way to have both is in a scalloped potato dish, and make it for breakfast. Yum right? Just a simple and semi-fast scalloped potato because who wants to spend so much time in kitchen in the morning? Easiest way to speed up scalloped potatoes? Microwave those babies until fork tender!
Wash and poke holes in your potatoes then microwave until fork tender. Once cool enough to handle slice potatoes thinly then line them up in a baking dish. In a large saute pour in about 1/3 cup both dump in the onion flakes and let soften about a minute then add the mushrooms and spices and saute on medium heat until all liquid is gone and mushrooms are browned. Spoon mushrooms into a bowl and set aside, then melt in coconut oil and sprinkle in flour. Whisk flour about 30 seconds then add in the milk and whisk until thick. Sprinkle in all spices then keep whisk until combined then set to low while slicing potatoes; line potatoes around a baking dish. Dump mushrooms into the grave and mix well. Pour gravy over the potatoes making sure to get the gravy between all the potatoes. Bake at 375 degrees for 35 minutes. Enjoy!
Breakfast Mushroom Gravy Scalloped Potatoes,
3 Medium Potatoes
1/3 C Imagine Vegetarian No-Chicken Broth
3 Pkgs Sliced Cremini Mushrooms, chopped small
3 Tbsp Dried Onion Flakes
2 Tsp Garlic Powder
2 Tsp Trader Joe’s 21 Seasoning Salute
2 Tbsp Coconut Oil
3 Tbsp Bob’s Red Gluten-Free Mill All-Purpose Flour
1 Tsp Black Pepper
2 Tsp Garlic Powder
2 Tsp Thyme
1 Tsp Parsley Flakes
1/2 Tsp Sage
3 C So Delicious Dairy Free Unsweetened Cashew Milk
1. Wash and poke holes in the potatoes. Microwave until fork tender. Take out and let cool. Set oven to 375 degrees.
2. On medium heat in a large saute pan pour in vegetable broth and onion flakes and let soften about one minute.
3. Dump in mushrooms, garlic powder and seasoning. Saute until mushrooms all liquid is gone and the mushrooms are browned.
4. Spoon mushrooms into a bowl and set aside.
5. Add coconut oil to the veg pan and melt, then sprinkle flour and whisk about 30 seconds.
5. Dump in milk and whisk until thickened and gravyish then add spices and mix. .
6. Slice potatoes thinly then line them around a baking dish.
7. Dump mushrooms into the gravy and mix well then pour gravy over the potatoes.
7. Bake 35 minutes.