Oh man, this was the easiest thing in the whole world! Who new making your own seasonings and spices were so easy? All this time we have been buying the packets and adding water but I just made my own enchilada sauce and wow. Never again will I buy it!
I new I wanted to try my hand at making my own sauce, so I Googled it and Emeril Lagasse‘s recipe on the Food Network was on the top of the list…You can’t go wrong with the Food Network or Emeril right? So I followed it almost exactly; I only changed a few things. The main change was the chicken stock to veggie stock. Also, who new so much chili powder was in the seasoning packets?
Vegan Enchilada Sauce
3 Tbsp Canola Oil
1 Tbsp Whole Wheat Flour
2 C Vegetable Stock
1/4 C Chili Powder
6 Oz Can Tomato Paste
1 Tsp Dried Oregano
1 Tsp Ground Cumin
1/2 Tsp Salt
1. In a medium sauce pan heat oil, then add flour.
2. Whisk flour and oil until combined, about 1 minute. *Be careful as it will be spitting.
3. Add vegetable stock then chili powder. Let boil about 1 minute.
4. Add tomato paste and break up with wisk before adding oregano, cumin and salt.
5. Stir together all ingredients and let boil a few minutes, reduce heat to simmer and let go
while putting all enchilada ingredients together.
*if you want to make this a day or so before, literally only takes about 20 minutes for the whole process, go
for it. Too easy!
4 thoughts on “Easy Enchilada Sauce”
Pingback: Crockpot Enchilada Stuffed Peppers & Savory Cheese Scones | Fitting Into Vegan
Pingback: Crockpot Enchilada Lasagna | Fitting Into Vegan
Pingback: Butternut Enchilada Chili w/Cumin Cornbread Mini-Muffins | Fitting Into Vegan
Pingback: Vegan and Gluten-Free Enchilada Soup | Fitting Into Vegan