Well it’s that time of year when all the fresh and wonderful summer fruits are going away – or becoming frozen. If the fruit are on an amazing sale you should buy them up and freeze them! That is the best use of all those fruits so they don’t go into some large waste pile or compost heap. Another way to use up fruits instead of just freezing is making them into baked goodies and freezing them, so you always have a dessert ready to go! These vegan and gluten-free Frozen Summer Breakfast Cookies are the perfect way to enjoy summer during those cold winter months!
Well this months Recipe Redux is all about using up those summer veggies and making some awesome freezer meals that will take you into the Fall with stress-free cooking. Now this would normally be my most favorite monthly post since I am all about the freezer meals and making soups – I love soups! However, since I just moved into my cousins house – a very full house – the fridge and freezer are overstocked with store-bought foods, and there isn’t any room for me to cook up a ton of soup for later meals. So how do I participate in this months Redux? Breakfast Cookies! And my cookies are summer fruit cookies – mashed plums instead of bananas or applesauce; chopped nectarines; add oats and nuts. I may not be using veggies, but fruits find their way into compost heaps also because they don’t all get bought or eaten up before they go bad. But how do I make this into freezer items?
Make the cookie batter then portion out your cookies on parchment paper! Rip off a large portion of parchment paper onto baking sheets. Portion out cookies onto the paper, leaving about 3 inches on both ends, place baking sheets in freezer at least two hours. Take out sheets then roll the parchment paper over the flattened cookies and roll gently into a parch and cookie log. Slide it into a large ziplock bag and roll then zip all the air out then toss back in the freezer. When you need morning cookies, just take out and place on baking sheet! So easy right? Then when you want to make them? Heat oven to 350 degrees, unroll frozen cookies onto a baking sheet and bake about 10 minutes! Perfect for the morning when your hungry and don’t have a lot of time before leaving for work! Enjoy!
Frozen Summer Breakfast Cookies,
2 Plums, peeled and mashed
1 Tbsp Maple Extract
3 Nectarines, peeled
1 C Splenda
2 Tsp Cinnamon
2 Tsp Ginger
1 1/2 C Oat Flour
1 C Oats
1/2 C Flax Meal
1 Tbsp Baking Powder
1 C Almond Breeze Unsweetened Vanilla Almond Milk
1/2 C Walnuts, chopped
1/2 C Almonds, chopped
1 C Unsweetened Raisins
1. In a medium size bowl mix oats and flour, flax, baking powder, and spices.
2. Peel plums and chop in small food processor with maple extract.
3. Pour plum sauce into a large mixing bowl and add Splenda and mix then add to oat mixture and mix.
4. Add in chopped nuts and raisins and milk and mix.
5. Chop nectarines into small chunks then gently fold into batter.
6. Lay out the parchment paper baking sheets leaving 3 inches at each end. Start portioning out tablespoon-size cookies onto the sheet.
7. Place baking sheets in freezer at least two hours then take out.
8. Roll parchment over first line of cookies then keep gently rolling.
9. Slide into a large ziplock bag, then wrap baggie around line of cookies and close. Place flat in the freezer.
10. Ready to bake? Heat oven to 350 degrees then gently unroll cookies onto a baking sheet and bake about 10 minutes!