Oh spaghetti, how I love thee. It is one of my all-time favorite foods; every birthday I would ask for it for my dinner. It’s also one of my comfort foods, and the perfect food to take you into the cooler weather that you are hopefully having. This one is super-healthy adding a new or different kind of veggie that isn’t expected in a normal spaghetti. And since it’s falling into Fall around here, who the heck wouldn’t want a comfort food that isn’t so guilt-ridden? Enjoy some vegan and gluten-free Roasted Butternut Squash Spaghetti.
Who in the world doesn’t love spaghetti? I love it above all other foods, even pizza and mac and cheese. It is just one of those foods that I can’t get enough of. But it’s also one that should be remade into healthy! It is super-easy to make bad for you by adding soy meats, cheeses, or even a “cream” tomato sauce. Not today. Nope – we are blending roasted butternut squash into the tomatoes to make this super veggiefied! It turned out awesome, and the veggies still have a little crunch to them. By roasting the butternut squash and garlic, then blending them with the tomatoes and spices you are totally hiding the squash so you can get anyone to try it without them turning up their nose at it. And the tiny bite of dried red pepper flakes? Spice baby! And this butternut tomato sauce smelled like it had 1. come out of an expensive jar, and 2. like it had been on the stove cooking all day. Neither – all mine, and simmering one hour!
Start by roasting the butternut squash, spaghetti squash, and garlic at 350 degrees for 45 minutes. Let cool enough to handle the garlic. While veggies are cooling chop the onion, peppers, carrots, and mushrooms and dump into a large pot with 1/2 cup veg broth and turn on medium heat to start sweating. Dump 1/2 can diced tomatoes, half the pan of butternut squash, half the spices, and all the garlic into a blender and blend until smooth then dump into the pot. Add rest of the can, squash, and spices and blend and dump into pot. Add other can of tomatoes and stir pot then turn heat to simmer and let go one hour. And that’s it! Shred the spaghetti squash, and if you need noodles make a small portion and add a little to each portion of spaghetti squash and add the sauce and there you go! Awesome butternut squash spaghetti!
1 Butternut Squash, roasted
1 Spaghetti Squash, roasted
1 Bulb Garlic, roasted
4 Tbsp Olive Oil
Sprinkle of black pepper, garlic powder, and oregano
1 Tbsp Basil
1 Tbsp Oregano
1 Tsp Red Pepper Flakes
2 Cans Muir Glen Organic Diced Tomatoes
1/2 C Pacific Organic Vegetable Broth
1 Large Yellow Onion, chopped small
1 Green Pepper, chopped small
1 Red Pepper, chopped small
4 Carrots, chopped small
1 Pkg Mushrooms, chopped small
1. Set oven to 350 degrees. Line baking sheets with foil. Tear off a small portion for garlic.
2. Slice top off garlic and place on foil.
3. Slice spaghetti squash in half and scrape out seeds. Slice skin off butternut, slice in half and scrape out seeds. Chop into small chunks and dump on larger baking sheet.
4. Sprinkle olive oil over squash’s and garlic. Sprinkle black pepper over garlic and crunch foil around bulb. Sprinkle black pepper, garlic powder, and oregano over both squash; mix butternut with hands.
5. Bake 45 minutes then take out to cool.
6. Chop onion, peppers, mushrooms, and carrots into small chunks. Pour veg broth into a large pot then dump all chopped veggies. Turn heat to medium and let veggies sweat.
7. Dump half of one can of diced tomatoes into a blender, half the pan of butternut squash, all of the garlic squeezed out, and half the basil, oregano, and pepper flakes. Blend until smooth then pour into pot and mix.
8. Add rest of the can of tomatoes, squash and spices and blend. Dump into pot with other can of tomatoes.
9. Mix then turn heat to low and let simmer 60 minutes.
10. Shred spaghetti squash and spoon veg sauce over.
2 thoughts on “Vegan and Gluten-Free Roasted Butternut Squash Spaghetti”
i love how this recipe incorporates 2 types of squash! yum!
Yes – so few calories that way too!