Everyone knows by now, or should know, that I love mushrooms – it’s rarity that a savory dish on here does not have mushrooms in it. And I make really good roux’s for my cream-of dishes, but this time? No flour or tofu to make this creamy mushroom soup. No roux-based soup, nothing extra, just veggies and stock, and more veggies. Your going to love this vegan and gluten-free Creamy Mushroom Soup – Elimination Diet Recipe.
I love a good cream of mushroom soup in a casserole but was never that fond of actually eating the soup alone. Now that I make my own full-fat but vegan version, I can gobble that up. But now that the Elimination Diet is still going strong I don’t want the added carbs or extra cheese that always gets added to fatty versions. This time? Yep – in comes the pureed cauliflower. Since this was going to be a super-healthy version of my fave, I knew I was going to be adding pureed veg to make this as guilt-free as possible. I also used my new fave vegetable broth, No-Chicken Vegetarian Broth, which I have only been able to find at Whole Foods. I love it, especially since there is no tomato in it (another Eliminated food) and that it adds a new flavor to a soup. This soup has a cream-like texture, but it is a broth based soup. You will love that this soup is extremely simple. Just chopping the onion and celery – buy sliced mushrooms, and if you have jarred minced garlic on hand? Even better!
Start this simple soup by chopping the onion and celery super-small and mince the garlic. Dump a little broth into a large soup pot along with the onion, celery, and garlic and sweat out about seven minutes. Add in the mushrooms, bay leaves, and half the thyme and mix then let go about 10 minutes to get all the liquid out of the mushrooms. Microwave the cauliflower until defrosted then add one bag to a blender with three cups broth and blend until creamy. Pour into the pot and mix, then dump the other bag into the blender with three cups broth and blend again until creamy. Dump into the pot with the rest of the herbs and spices and mix. Turn heat to simmer and let go one hour. Enjoy!
Creamy Mushroom Soup,
2 Pkgs Frozen Cauliflower, defrosted
1 Large Yellow Onion, chopped small
4 Stalks Celery, chopped small
4 Pkgs Sliced Cremini Mushrooms
7 Cloves Garlic, minced
2 Tbsp Dried Thyme
1 Tsp Black Pepper
1/2 Tsp Marjoram
2 Bay Leafs
2 Cntrs Imagine Foods Vegetarian No-Chicken Broth
1. Chop onion and celery into small pieces and mince the garlic.
2. Add 1/4 cup stock plus the veggies to a large soup pot. Turn to medium-high heat and let sweat out about 7 minutes.
3. Add in all mushrooms, both bay leaves, and one tablespoon thyme, and turn to high heat and let fully sweat out – about 10 minutes. Don’t add extra stock, just let the mushrooms release their liquid and start to brown.
4. Microwave cauliflower until fully defrosted. Add one package to the blender with three cups stock and start blending, adding more liquid to get the cauliflower fully liquefied if needed.
5. Pour into the pot then add the other bag of cauliflower with three cups stock and blend. Add more stock to get moving then pour into the pot.
6. Add in rest of herbs and stock and mix. Turn to simmer and let cook one hour. Stir occasionally.