Last minute holiday gift idea right here, and oh gosh these little things. My mom makes the most amazingly good chocolate covered peanut butter balls – like melt in your mouth, fall-on-the floor-they-are-so-good amazing. I wanted to do a play off of those amazing peanut butter balls by doing something a little surprising. I mean who would expect to bite into a little ball and having it be a rice krispie? Yes, these little vegan and gluten-free goodies are Chocolate Covered Peanut Butter Rice Krispie Balls.
I love rice krispie treats as much as the next person, but don’t have the patience of making them because they are so labor intensive. But when it’s holiday time and you are making your last minute gifts, labor intensive just adds to the festivities right? I mean it’s not a holiday until you’ve gotten mad and want to give up. But these little treats actually worked with me and weren’t hard at all! And since I used peanut powder rather than peanut butter, and didn’t use butter just coconut oil, these little goodies seem a tad bit healthier right? I mean it’s Christmas time so anything chocolate covered gets a calorie pass right?
Peanut powder you ask? Did you know that like 99% of the peanut powders on the market are full of sugar? Me either! I mean, I’ve bought peanut powders before and never really looked at the ingredient list because I didn’t think it was anything more than just peanuts, but with the Elimination Diet I look at ingredient lists more now than ever. I was looking on the ingredients of the peanut powder packages and they are peanut butter powders – meaning they are full of sugar because they want you to get the peanut butter flavor. Well, I didn’t want extra sugar on the Elimination Diet so I went looking online and found this peanut powder – peanuts only! Start by melting the oil on low heat and getting the cereal and powder measured out into a small bowl. Add the marshmallows and let them melt, stirring then adding the bowl of cereal and powder and mix well. Take off heat and spray your hands with non-stick spray and carefully roll krispies into small balls and lay on parchment covered baking sheets. Roll until all laid out on sheets. Freeze one hour. Melt one bag of chocolate chunks and dunk krispie balls then take them out and place back on baking sheet. Put back in the freezer at least 30 minutes. Enjoy!
Chocolate Covered PB Rice Krispie Balls,
1. Line one baking sheet with wax or parchment paper. Have non-stick spray ready next to you.
2. Dump cereal and peanut powder into a small bowl.
3. Dump oil into a medium-size pot and melt on low heat. Add marshmallows and melt stirring constantly.
4. Stir marshmallow mixture until all melted. Dump in cereal and peanut powder and mix.
5. Take off heat let cool enough to handle.
6. Spray hands with non-stick spray then spoon out mixture and roll/squish into balls. Lay on baking sheets.
7. Place tray in freezer and freeze one hour.
8. Take out tray and set on table. Dump one bag chocolate chunks in a small microwave safe bowl and melt completely.
9. Place 2-3 krispies in chocolate bowl and use a spoon to cover. Take out and place back on tray.
10. Continue until all balls are covered; remelt chocolate as needed, and melt second bag when needed.
11. Place tray back in freezer until completely frozen.
12. Gift to people and enjoy!