New year, new breakfast. I had gotten into a breakfast rut for the last few months so I decided to look at what I had left in my cupboards and fridge and decided to use up the last of my quinoa and cranberries and make a yummy cranberry-type breakfast thing. And what fun tart cranberries are for the morning – talk about a suck your cheeks wake up call. A little sweetness to cut the tart, but it is still tartalicious! Hope you get to enjoy this vegan, gluten-free, and sugar-free Sweet and Tart Cranberry Quinoa Bowl.
Since it’s the new year it’s time for new breakfasts. Healthy breakfasts that are bound to help you make it through the morning without needing a pick-me-up before lunch. And since I’m needing some carbs this week since race weekend is the weekend, I need to make sure I am ready for what’s coming – even if my eating is the only thing that’s ready. Getting ready for the half marathon means I need to get my carbs on. Maybe not a terrible amount of carbs, but still. Some carbs. I need energy right? And protein – what better way to get a complete protein and carb than with quinoa? And since I am just plain not ready for the holidays to be over, and I have a ton of cranberries leftover in the fridge and freezer, I decided to make holiday-esque cranberry jelly quinoa bowl. Who needs oatmeal right? … well me most of the time, but this time it’s quinoa!
This quinoa bowl is the perfect week long breakfast meal. Start by cooking the quinoa with cinnamon and water. Once cooked fluff with a fork then portion into bowls. In a saute pan melt the oil then add in the cranberries and water. Cook until berries are about to burst then add in the cinnamon, maple syrup and water and mix. Add in more water if needed and cook on low about five more minutes to get all flavors combined. Portion cranberry mixture over quinoa bowls. Pour about 1/3 cup milk into each bowl and mix. Enjoy!
Sweet and Tart Cranberry Quinoa Bowl,
1 C Quinoa
2 C Water
2 Tsp Cinnamon
2 Tsp Coconut Oil
1 Bag Fresh Cranberries
1/2 C Water
1 Tsp Cinnamon
3 Tbsp 100% Pure Maple Syrup
1/2 C Water
1/3 C Unsweetened Vanilla Coconut Milk
1. In a medium-size pot bring quinoa, cinnamon, and water to a boil. Stir then turn heat down to low and cover with a lid. Let cook 20-30 minutes or until all water is gone from pot.
2. Turn off the burner and fluff the quinoa. Set aside.
3. In a saute pan melt the oil then add the cranberries and 1/4 cup water and cook over medium heat until cranberries are soft, adding the last 1/4 cup water, about 15 minutes.
4. Sprinkle in cinnamon and add syrup and mix then add 1/4 cup more water. Let cook over low heat, adding last 1/4 cup water if needed, about 5-10 minutes.
5. Portion quinoa into bowls then portion the cranberry mixture.
6. Pour about 1/3 cup milk into quinoa bowl.
2 thoughts on “Vegan, Gluten-Free, and Sugar-Free Sweet and Tart Cranberry Quinoa Bowl”
Sounds amazing…thanks for the recipe.
I have a bag of cranberries that need to get used!