So I may not be on the Elimination Diet right now, although I’ve been trying to cut out the crap again, but an allergy-free holiday table recipe is always necessary. And one of the most fattening and non allergy-free holiday dishes is traditional broccoli casserole. Well I’ve got you covered with this vegan and gluten-free Broccoli Casserole.
Oh broccoli casserole. So honestly for years and years our holiday table never saw a broccoli casserole. And I never even knew it existed. My SIL introduced it to me a few years ago and OMG with her amazing cooking skills, I could tear up the whole dish. It was essentially a cross between a green bean casserole and a tuna casserole (minus the tuna). Tons of cheese, canned cream of soup, and fried onions. Tons of yum, tons of calories. So of course I wanted to remake it so we could eat as healthfully as possible. And I succeeded in the healthy calories! Super flavorful and no cheese or other junk.
Start by making your quinoa and heating the oven. Those two things take the longest. Defrost the bags of broccoli in the microwave while chopping up your mushrooms and onion. Sauté the mushrooms and onion on medium-low heat in vegetable broth while make the sauce. In a food processor blend the drained and rinsed beans along with the rest of the sauce ingredients until smooth and creamy. Once the veggies are browned pour the sauce in the pan and mix. Add in the quinoa and turn off the heat. Lay the broccoli spears in the bottom of your baking dish then pour he sauce mix over all of the broc. Use the spoon to press the sauce down through the broccoli. Bake 45 minutes then enjoy!
3 Bags Frozen Broccoli Spears
1 Large Sweet Onion, sliced
10 Large Button Mushrooms, chopped
1/2 C Broth
1 Tsp Black Pepper
2 Tbsp Minced Garlic
3/4 C Quinoa
1 1/2 C Imagine Foods Vegetarian No-Chicken Broth
1 Can S&W Low-Sodium White Beans, drained and rinsed
6 Tbs Nutritional Yeast
1 C So Delicious Dairy Free Unsweetened Yogurt
1 1/2 C Broth
1 Tbsp Rosemary
1. Set oven to 350 degrees.
2. Measure out quinoa and broth and dump in a small pot. Bring to a boil then lower heat to simmer and cover. Let cook about 20 minutes or until all liquid is gone.
3. Chop mushrooms into small pieces and dump in a large saute pan with 1/4 cup broth. Turn to medium heat to start browning. Once mushrooms and onions are almost browned add the pepper and garlic with a little more broth and mix.
4. Halve the onion then quarter it. Slice into small slices then add to the saute pan. Brown with more broth if needed.
5. Defrost the broccoli in the microwave then lay in a baking dish.
6. In a food processor dump in the beans, yogurt, yeast, Rosemary, and broth. Mix until smooth.
7. Once veggies are browned add the sauce with a little more broth and mix really well.
8. Add the quinoa to the pan and mix again.
9. Turn off the heat then pour over the broccoli.
10. Use the spoon the move the sauce down between the broccoli.
11. Bake 45 minutes.