I love Christmas morning; the stockings and Santa gifts. There are always presents that you know you will get and the ones you are still wishing you will find under the tree. I also love getting to watch my niece and nephews see for the first time what Santa brought. Their excitement is so contagious and pure that I am okay not getting the last of the gifts.
I also love baking…at any time but especially Christmas morning. I usually make homemade cinnamon rolls-that has been my tradition for the last three years, but things change so I decided to make something else. Something yummy and yet still had the cinnamonny goodness of the rolls.
I love Cooking Light magazine. The foods and baked goods on the covers are so inspiring
but I usually don’t have the guts to try it. They always seem so extravagant that I find it intimidating. Well, I got my guts in order and decided this year was the year of the Walnut Streusel Bread. Something still sweet and yummy, but a whole lot healthier then my normal cinnamon rolls!
I made the obvious tweaks to make it vegan-changed the buttermilk to Silk Light Vanilla Soymilk, changed the butter to Earth Balance Buttery Spread, and the eggs to unsweetened applesauce. I made another tweak-instead of regular sugar, I used Splenda. I just have a thing against white sugar and usually just use brown sugar but thought I would use the Splenda for a change. My mom only uses Splenda since my dad has diabetes so I figured lets use it.
It was really easy to put together and I am glad I made it. The coffee cake with goodness in the middle and on top has always seemed illustrious, but now I have a new recipe under my belt and I can manipulate it into other wonderfully light breads! The only real change to the bread recipe I would make is to add a spice to the bread-cinnamon or nutmeg.
Vegan Walnut Streusel Bread: 16 slices
1/3 C Brown Sugar, packed
1/3 C Old-Fashioned Rolled Oats
1 Tbsp All-Purpose Flour
1 Tsp Cinnamon
2 Tbsp Walnuts, chopped
2 Tbsp Vegan Butter, melted
2 C All-Purpose Flour
1/2 Tsp Baking Soda
1/2 Tsp Baking Powder
1/2 Tsp Salt
5 Tbsp Vegan Butter, softened
2/3 C Splenda
1/2 C Unsweetened Applesauce
1 Tsp Vanilla Extract
1 C Silk Light Vanilla Soy Milk
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. Combine all dry Streusel ingredients. Melt butter in microwave and stir into dry ingredients. Mix well and set aside.
3. In a medium bowl mix flour, baking soda and powder and salt. Combine and set aside.
4. In a large mixing bowl pour in sugar. Soften butter in microwave then pour into sugar. Mix well.
5. After sugar and butter is mixed, stir in vanilla and applesauce. Mix well.
6. Alternating between milk and dry ingredients, blend together.
7. Spray bread pan with Pam. Pour half the batter into pan. Spoon half the streusel mix over the batter. Pour rest of batter into pan and swirl. Spoon rest of streusel on top of batter.
8. Bake bread for 50 minutes.***
***I had to keep baking my bread and I also cut the bread in half lengthwise down the pan. I started with 6 extra minutes…then 6 more minutes…then I got upset at the bread and set it for 10 more minutes. I took the bread out and let it cool.