So, it is after the holidays and I am so over the tons of starch and rich foods. I am ready for something a little more homey and maybe a different type of decadent. Here is my totally vegan and gluten-free Cauliflower Alfredo Lasagna.
My Thanksgiving was a carby side bonanza, but not a lot of pasta. So I wanted a homey meal to keep the feel of that family togetherness of the holiday. But I so did not need a lot of calories, which is how I decided on a lasagna. Lasagna noodles are still full o’calories but with the right sauce and the right portions can be guilt free-ish.
I loved the last cauliflower alfredo that I made so much that I have been thinking of making it again but figuring out how to do it without vegan cream cheese in it. I decided to try Nasoya silken tofu and used fresh chives. I like the idea of fresh herbs, but they never seem to add a lot of flavor. I guess I am just a dried-herb fan.
For the alfredo just boil your cauliflower and add it and the tofu to the food processor. Add your herbs-you will need to taste once it has gotten going. After mine blended I tasted it and added more garlic and some more salt and pepper-it came out really garlicy which is how I like it. Mine is a thicker sauce; if you want a runnier or smoother sauce add a 1/4 cup water at a time.
While your cauliflower is boiling start chopping the onion, mushrooms and kale. After cauliflower is done begin sauteeing at medium heat your onions and mushrooms. Add salt and pepper and saute until liquid is almost gone. Add kale and garlic powder and saute until kale is done. Add drained artichoke hearts. Turn off and start layering your lasagna with alfredo on bottom then noodles veggies and repeat until gone. Bake at 350 for 40 minutes then take out and add cheese and bake 20 more minutes. Yum!
Cauliflower Alfredo Lasagna, 8 servings
2 Pkg Frozen Cauliflower, boiled and drained
1 Pkg Nasoya Silken Tofu
2 Tbsp Minced Garlic
1 Tbsp Parsley
1/2 oz Fresh Chives
1 Tsbp Black Pepper
1 Bunch Green Onions, washed and chopped
1 Yellow Onion, sliced thin
16 oz Baby Bella Mushrooms, washed and sliced
1/2 Tsp Black Pepper
1/2 Tsp Salt
1 Bunch Kale, washed and rough chopped
1/2 Tsp Garlic Powder
14 oz Can Artichoke Hearts
1 Pkg De Boles Rice Lasagna Noodles
1 pkg Daiya Cheddar Shreds
1. Bring water to boil, then boil cauliflower until fork tender. Drain well then pour into food processor.
2. While water is warming turn oven to 350 degrees and wash mushrooms, kale and onion. Chop all and set aside. Drain artichoke hearts.
3. Drain tofu and crumble into food processor.
4. Add one tablespoon olive oil to large pan and warm to medium-high. Add onion and mushrooms. Add salt and pepper. Sauté until mushrooms have released liquid.
5. Wash and chop green onions then add to food processor on top of tofu and cauliflower. Chop chives and add. Add garlic, salt, pepper, and parsley. Turn on low and let it go.
4. In pan add kale and garlic powder. Sauté until liquid is almost gone. Add artichoke hearts. Sauté until liquid all gone.
5. In a large baking dish start layering Alfredo, then noodles, Alfredo, veggies, noodles…etc.
6. Bake 40 minutes. Take out and cover with cheese. Bake 20 more minutes.
Total Fat: 9g