I, obviously, love veggies. I also love putting extra veggies into a dish so the dish is bigger and goes farther meal-wise. Since my meals are so big, and I always try to get at least six meals out of them I usually add more veggies than necessary. Which only adds nutrients and fiber – not a bad thing. I have also come to love using cauliflower as a filler or sauce. You will probably get tired of seeing all the cauli on here for a while, but it has been on sale and I can’t turn sales down! Here is my Creamy Veggie “Risotto.”
This dish was originally inspired by my SIL. Whenever I go to her house she always tries a new veggie dish. I love that. This was supposed to have been a cauliflower Alfredo that she saw on some other site (not mine, humph) but it turned more into a risotto which she wasn’t happy about…I on the other hand had two huge helpings as did my bro who is not the biggest veg fan. I thought it was so successful that I am remaking my own here with a different spice blend and just plain calling it Risotto!
For my risotto I used a mix of brown rice and quinoa and instead of water I used low sodium veggie broth. I made this first with the spices and garlic in my largest pot; while cooking cut up onion, asparagus, and spinach. After the rice was cooked I took it off the burner and set aside. Then I cut up the head of cauliflower into big chunks and dumped all of it along with the last of the container of veg stock. Toss the peas and edamame into the microwave for 6 minutes (if it’s a steamable bag). After it was steamed through I poured the cauliflower and veg stock into the food processor and let it rip until creamed. I then poured all that into the big pot with rice and added another 1/2 cup of stock and mixed. Super creamy!
I put the big pot back on a burner on low heat. In a big saute pan on another burner on medium heat add 2 cups of more veg stock and the broccoli and onion and put the lid on. Pour the peas and edamame into the rice pot and mix. Add the asparagus then spinach to the broc pan and mix. Keep the lid on so the spinach steams through. After cooked add everything to the rice pot and mix well. Portion out and enjoy!
1 1/2 C Brown Rice
1/2 C Quinoa
2 1/2 C Low Sodium Veg Stock
1/2 Tsp Black Pepper
2 Tsp Thyme
1 Tsp Parsley
1 Tsp Basil
3 Tbsp Minced Garlic
1 Head Cauliflower, chopped
2.5 C Low Sodium Veg Stock
1 Tsp Garlic Powder
2 C Low Sodium Veg Stock
1 Medium Yellow Onion, chopped small
5 C Frozen Broccoli
1 Bunch Asparagus, washed, trimmed and cut in half
1 Bunch Spinach, washed, stemmed and chopped
1 Bag Peas
1 Bag Shelled Edamame
1. Bring rice, quinoa, stock, and spices to a boil then simmer for 20 minutes. When done take off burner.
2. Chop cauliflower into smallish florets. Pour vegetable stock and florets into large saute pan and bring to a small boil. Cover with lid and steam until soft.
3. Pour peas and edamame in microwave for six minutes.
4. Pour soft florets and stock into food processor and process until creamy.
5. Add creamed cauli to rice pot and mix. Put back on burner on low.
6. Chop onion, asparagus, and spinach.
7. In large saute pan pour two cups stock, broccoli and onion.
8. Add peas and edamame to rice and mix.
9. Add asparagus and spinach to broc and onions and put lid on. Let steam on medium heat, mixing a few times to let spinach wilt.
10. Add veggies to rice and mix well.
11. Portion out and enjoy!
Total Fat: 4g
Total Carbs: 44g