An easy and amazingly quick stroganoff meal. Usually making anything that says “meal” in it takes me forever to make. Like a couple of hours. Thank goodness for weekends that’s for sure. But this actually happened to be maybe 45 minutes to an hour. This Creamy Cashew Mushroom Stroganoff is vegan, flourless, and gluten-free.
I decided not to make this stroganoff in the traditional way of roux, but with cashews. Yep, a savory sauce made with cashews. I based this sauce off my cashew queso, using just some of my basic spices of garlic powder, black pepper, and salt. A little olive oil to get it jiving, and some coconut milk for creaminess. Process it in the food processor (for a while) while veggies are grooving and water boiling. Once the onion and mushrooms are done sauteing, the cashew sauce is done, and noodles are al dente. Add the sauce to veggies then add yogurt for extra creamy sauce. Pour noodles and a little noodle water in the pan and mix. Yum.
This stroganoff turned out so good, I was super impressed with myself. The only bad part is the big calorie count which is due to the cashews, While super healthy, the cashews do add calories and fat, but I am not going to worry about (a rarity for me) because I know this is healthy. Also, the cashews add protein to my lunch which I have not been getting enough of.
2 C Raw Cashews, soaked
1 Tbsp French’s Dijon Mustard
2 Tsp Garlic Powder
1 Tsp Black Pepper
1/2 Tsp Salt
2 Tbsp Bertolli Light Tasting Olive Oil
1 C So Delicious Unsweetened Coconut Milk
1 Cntr So Delicious Greek Style Plain Yogurt
1 Yellow Onion, sliced
4 Cntr Mushrooms, washed and sliced
1 Box De Boles Rice Fettuccini
1. Soak cashews overnight.
2. Slice onion and saute with 1 tbsp olive oil on medium-low heat while slicing mushrooms.
3. Wash and slice whole mushrooms. Dump into saute pan with onions, sprinkle 1/2 tsp pepper and salt, and pour in 1/2 cup water. Mix and saute until water is gone.
4. In food processor dump cashews, mustard, garlic powder, pepper, salt, and olive oil. Process until cashews start to turn into a ball. Scrape sides as necessary. Turn off processor.
5. Use a spatula to scrape sides and squish down. Turn back on high and pour milk through spout. Let process 5-7ish minutes.
6. Turn water to high for noodles. Break noodles in half. Cook to al dente.
7. Pour sauce into veggies and combine. Add yogurt and gently mix.
8. Strain noodles, save 1/2 c noodle water, and add to pan and mix.
9. Portion out and enjoy!
Total Fat: 38g