I saw a picture for potato skins, you know the appetizer at most restaurants, and thought they looked so good. Cheesy potatoes, I mean who doesn’t like that? But seeing as I don’t think I have ever actually had them before, of course I wanted to make them, and since the Super Bowl is almost here I figured why not make these for game-day? Enjoy some (any) game-day eats with these vegan and gluten-free Sweet Potato Skins.
I decided to, of course, make mine different from the pic that I saw – you know, by cutting the dairy and bacon bits out. Then, since I am on a sweet potato kick right now decided that was going to be the potato option. I also looked at recipes for these potato skins – jeez Louise with the oven time! No way was I wasting money by having the oven running for almost two hours to bake potatoes. Sorry, but that is what the microwave is for! And since I was loving the flavors in my recent Santa Fe Wraps I figured why not use the mildly spiced green chilies instead of salsa like everyone else. Change is good! The other changes from other recipes? Mushrooms, olives baked in, homemade taco seasoning for spice, and quartering each so you get more bang for your buck.
Wash and scrub potatoes, then carefully make cuts with a knife down the long sides of the potatoes then in the middle of each side. Microwave potatoes until just soft then take out and let cool until able to handle. Once cooled slice in half lengthwise then down the middle, then scoop out the innards and put into a bowl for later use (add butter and you have mashed sweet potatoes!). Place potatoes skin side up and broil on middle rack for 5-6 minutes, until skins are just hard. Take out and flip over. While potatoes are in microwave slice all veggies and drain chilies and olives. Saute veggies and chilies in small saute pan with one tablespoon olive oil and taco seasoning. Once everything is cooked through fill skins with veggies, add olives then top with cheese. Place back in oven on middle rack about 10 minutes until cheese is melted and everything is heated through. This was way more easy then I thought it would be since they seem labor intensive. Nope, took me about 30 minutes tops, but then I don’t mind not being able to feel my fingertips for a while after being singed a little 🙂
4 Sweet Potatoes, washed, and heated
4 Green Onions, sliced thin
4 Cloves Garlic, minced
2 C Sliced Mushrooms, sliced thin
1/4 C Cilantro, chopped/minced
1 Can Green Chilies, drained
2 Tsp Homemade Taco Seasoning
1 Tbsp Olive Oil
1 Can Sliced Olives, drained
Daiya Pepperjack Cheese
1 Avocado, chunked
1. Wash sweet potatoes then carefully cut into long sides, then into the middle.
2. Heat potatoes in microwave until soft. Take out and let cool until can handle.
3. Chop green onions, garlic, mushrooms, and cilantro. Drain chilies and olives.
4. In small saute pan pour one tablespoon olive oil then dump in veggies, taco seasoning, and chilies and saute until softened.
5. Turn broiler on.
6. Slice potatoes along cut marks, quartering and slicing open. Use a spoon to scoop out innards and place in bowl for later use. Be sure not to scoop out all of insides, leave about 1/8 inch on potato.
7. Place potatoes skin side up on foil lined baking sheet. Broil about 5-6 minutes on middle rack.
8. Take out and turn each over carefully. Fill with veggies and olives, sprinkle cheese over the top.
9. Put back in oven on middle rack and heat about 10 minutes to melt cheese and heat everything.
One thought on “Vegan & Gluten-Free Sweet Potato Skins”
What a creative idea! You can never go wrong with sweet potato skins, right?