Well, there is no need to deprive yourself while on an elimination diet, that’s for sure. I may be eating a crap-ton more fruit than before, but I really wanted a sweet treat – which is where dates come in. Not only are dates super-sweet and a great little treat all by themselves, but when pureed with a little maple syrup added it is delish. The perfect way to add just a touch of sweetness to a treat. This vegan, gluten-free and sugar-free Trial Mix Granola will not derail your elimination diet – portion control is key though!
Do you know how hard it is to find fruit that is not sweetened? I mean, I knew it was going to be a little difficult since all packaged fruits have some type of sweetness added but still! Every. Single. Package! I thankfully found the Mariani Dates – or I would have been screwed with my coffee creamer! I took a little trip to Trader Joe’s hoping that they would have cheaper nuts to snack on, but also my elusive unsweetened fruit. Raisins and Bing cherries. That’s it. And not every package of raisins, just one. Little frustrating. I mean – I can’t be the only one who would like to buy unsweetened dried fruit right? Sheesh. Anyway, this granola is everything you would expect to eat on an elimination diet – not sweet and full of nuts and seeds. Like a trail mix. All those nuts packed into a normal granola.
Start by placing dates in a bowl then filling with hot water. In a large bowl add everything except water, syrup, and dates. Be sure to chop the pecans and almonds. In a small food processor add dates and two tablespoons maple syrup and process; stop and add three tablespoons date water and process. Dump into bowl and add rest of syrup and 1/4 cup date water and mix. Add a few more tablespoons water if needed to moisten. Dump on parchment covered baking sheet, spread out and press together. Bake for 20 minutes at 300 degrees then take out and break apart then flatten out and press again. Bake another 20 minutes then take out and break apart again. Let cool and enjoy!
2 C Oats
1/4 C Bobs Red Mill Flax Meal
2 Tsp Allspice
1 Tsp Cinnamon
1/4 C Trader Joe’s Salted Sunflower Seeds
1/2 C Trader Joe’s Salted Pumpkin Seeds
1/2 C Trader Joe’s Plain Pecans, chopped
1/2 C Trader Joe’s Plain Almonds, chopped
1/2 C Trader Joe’s Unsweetened Raisins
1/4 C Pure Maple Syrup
10 Mariani Dates, soaked
1/2 C Date Water
1. Set oven to 300 degrees. Line baking sheet with parchment paper.
2. Place dates in a bowl then pour hot water over and let soak while getting dry ingredients together.
3. In a large bowl add oats, flax, spices, and sunflower and pumpkin seeds.
4. Chop pecans and almonds and add to bowl and mix everything.
5. In a small food processor add dates and two tablespoons maple syrup and mix.
6. Add three tablespoons date water and process.
7. Add date mixture into oats and add raisins and rest of maple syrup and mix.
8. Add about 1/4 cup more date water and mix again.
9. Dump mixture onto parchment paper and spread out and press together.
10. Bake 20 minutes then take out and break up then press flat again. Bake 20 more minutes then take out and break apart.
11. Take out and let cool.