I love making granola but it doesn’t happen that often – and I don’t know why. It is a baked goody that has minimal ingredients, minimal steps, and a long baking time but you just let it go low and slow. Granola is also like any other baked goody that it can go from relatively good for you to Oh wow, that’s a lot of calories and I can understand why it’s so good but bad. That is also why I don’t make it that often, or buy it – it can be super calorific. But, once in awhile, just like anything, granola is just what you want. I hope you get to enjoy this vegan and gluten-free Chocolate Bottomed Granola.
Yum, who doesn’t love granola? It’s just so addicting, which is why I never really buy it. The more sugary it is, the more I’ll eat it … and want to buy more. Making it is way better for you than buying it, but again — sugary is better. Since I was going to be pressing the granola into decadent melted chocolate I wanted my favorite flavor in the granola – peanut butter. This is called chocolate bottomed granola because we are just pressing the granola into melted chocolate – not really a granola bar, there isn’t enough sugar or binders in this granola to be a bar. And this isn’t a bar, because I’m really not that lucky in my recipes that it would turn out bar-like – nope, this is pretty much chocolate granola chunks or bites.
Start by mixing the dry ingredients in a larger mixing bowl and dumping the peanut butter, maple syrup, and water in a smaller microwave safe bowl. Microwave 30 seconds then mix then microwave about 30 more seconds and mix again. Pour into dry ingredients and mix well so everything is coated. Dump on a non-stick sprayed baking sheet and press flat and together. Bake at 250 degrees for 20 minutes then take out and mix, then bake 25 more minutes. Let the granola cool completely so you can handle it. Line a small baking sheet with wax paper, then melt the chocolate in 30 second intervals until completely melted then pour onto the paper. Spread not too thin over the wax paper then use your hand to sprinkle the granola over the chocolate and press in. Put the pan in the freezer to harden the chocolate then take out and either cut with a knife or break apart. Enjoy!
Chocolate Bottomed Granola,
1. Set oven to 250 degrees and spray a baking sheet with non-stick spray.
2. In a larger bowl mix the dry ingredients.
3. In a microwave safe bowl dump the peanut butter, maple syrup and water and microwave 30 seconds. Take out and mix then microwave 30 more seconds and mix again.
4. Pour peanut butter mixture over the dry ingredients and mix well. Pour onto the baking sheet and spread out and press together.
5. Bake 20 minutes then take out and mix then press flat again.
6. Bake 25 more minutes. Take out and let cool.
7. Line a small baking sheet with wax paper and have the granola sitting next to the pan.
8. Melt the chocolate in a microwave safe bowl until chocolate is completely melted then pour onto wax paper and spread flat.
9. Spread granola over the chocolate and press down.
10. Put pan in the freezer to harden the chocolate.
11. Once ready take paper off the pan and either cut or break apart.