You know I have never had a Quiche or frittata before in my life. Never was a real egg fan. I would make scrambled eggs for myself, but was never like “Oh yeah let’s have eggs!” I did love a good fried egg sandwich though…probably because it was fried. Here is my no-egg-anywhere Gluten Free Tofu Frittata.
Since I have never made a frittata before I was seriously nervous about making this eggless version. I was Pinteresting and Googling trying to find different recipes to see how it was done, not really caring about what everyone else put in there’s but how to make the tofu turn out! I can handle spicing my dishes – no biggy there – but I just couldn’t figure out how the tofu was going to set up like the eggs would have.
A few blogs only used silken tofu but, me being the cheapo that I am, I had one tub of silken and one of extra firm tofu and I was not going to buy another container just for this. I saw a few more blogs that called for a few tablespoons of a thickener – for this I decided to add one tablespoon of cornstarch to kind of try it. I didn’t want my not adding that to be the thing that made this not turn out. But really there were not too many recipes out there for a tofu frittata or Quiche (the Quiche I learned is a frittata with a crust).
For my other ingedients I went Italian with it – surprising I know. For my veggies I sauted up two bunches of green onion, sliced button mushrooms, fresh spinach and steamed Brussels sprouts. I also took a note from Rachael Ray’s Carbonaro and added a couple of ounces of noodles, gluten-free quinoa noodles, for a little substance and carb action. I used fresh parsley and dried basil and oregano in the tofu mix. This turned out a bright green color, and truly was a bright flavor also. Very good!
Gluten Free Tofu Frittata, 8 servings
2 oz Ancient Harvest Quinoa Noodles
2 Bunches Green Onion, washed and chopped
1 Pkg Mushroom, washed and rough chopped
1 Bunch Spinach, washed, stemmed and chopped
1 Pkg Green Giant Seasoned Steamers Brussels Sprouts
1 Pkg Silken Tofu
1 Pkg Firm Tofu
1 Tbsp Basil
1 Tbsp Oregano
1 Tsp Chives
1/4 Tsp Red pepper Flakes
1 Bunch Fresh Parsley, washed and stemmed
1 Tsp Turmeric 1
Tsp Black Pepper
2 Tbsp Dijon Mustard
1 Tbsp Cornstarch
- In small pot boil water for noodles. When boiling measure and add noodles. Boil until just tender. Drain and set aside.
- Place large pot on burner and turn to medium high and add 1 tbsp olive oil.
- Chop green onions and add to pot. Chop mushrooms and add to pot. Sprinkle ½ teaspoon of pepper over veggies. Continue to stir until all liquid is gone.
- While onions and mushrooms are working, turn oven to 350 degrees.
- Drain tofu and squeeze excess out. Crumble into food processor.
- Add all spices, parsley, mustard and cornstarch to tofu.
- Turn on processor and let blend. I let it go for 2-3 minutes while I chopped all the spinach and added that to the mushrooms.
- In microwave heat the Brussels sprouts about 5 minutes.
- Destem and chop spinach and add to mushrooms.
- Pour Brussels sprouts onto cutting board and carefully chop them (don’t burn yourself). Add to veggies.
- Break noodles and add to the veggies then add tofu mixture and mix well.
- Pour into large baking pan. Bake 55 minutes.
- Let set for about 10 minutes, then enjoy!
Total Fat: 5g
Total Carbs: 14g
One thought on “Gluten Free Tofu Frittata”
Pingback: Vegan and Gluten-Free Sweet Fruity Frittata | Fitting Into Vegan