Well it has finally come to the time of year when pears are going on sale. Green and tasty and still a little bit hard, I love pears. And after a fall full of apples I am so ready to be inundated with these sweet fruits. Adding these awesome fruit and a few walnuts to a bread, with a little surprise, turned this Pear Walnut Bread into an amazingly tasty treat!
For most baked vegan goods you need applesauce, but, surprise I used pears! I don’t think (unless my mom makes me the applesauce or I am making a huge batch to freeze) I will ever make applesauce in a huge pot again! Making this pearsauce was the easiest thing in the world! I quartered two pears and cut the skin off. I chopped one into smallish pieces and dumped in a microwave-safe bowl with a tablespoon of water. Microwave for two minutes, then in 30 second intervals for two more minutes – mix with a fork after each – careful it will be spitting hot. In a blender liquefy the hot pears – mine equaled just over a half cup…and I will so be making pear sauce in the future! So warm and sweet! The other pear I chopped into small pieces for the batter.
This bread, which I based off of a banana bread, turned out super-moist due to the pears and the greek-style vegan yogurt. It was super-easy with only eight ingredients! Man, I love easy baking – and taking the baked goods to work! Everyone ate it and loved it. This is not super-sweet, I only used a half cup of brown sugar, but the other best part of the bread? The crispy brown sugar I sprinkled over the top, that’s what. I sprinkled about two tablespoons of brown sugar on the batter before baking, and it liquefied and hardened and was amazing! I will be doing this little trick in the future for baked goods, that’s for sure.
1 1/2 C Gold Medal All-Purpose Flour
2 Tsp Baking Soda
1/2 C Wholesome Sweeteners Brown Sugar, packed, +2 tablespoons
1 Cntr So Delicious Plain Greek-Style Yogurt
1/4 C So Delicious Sugar-Free Vanilla Coconut Milk
1/2 C Pearsauce, 1 Pear Chopped
2 Tsp Cinnamon
1/2 C Fishers Walnuts, chopped
1. Set oven to 350 degrees.
2. Wash and quarter pears, carefully cut peel off both. Chop one pear into small pieces and put in microwave safe bowl with one tablespoon water. Microwave for two minutes then carefully take out and mix. Microwave in 30 second intervals for two more minutes.
3. Carefully pour pears into blender and let whirl.
4. Pour pearsauce, brown sugar, yogurt, milk, and cinnamon in a medium size bowl and mix everything together.
5. Add flour and baking soda and mix.
6. Chop walnuts and second pear and drop in batter. Mix.
7. Spray a bread pan with non-stick spray. Pour in batter.
8. Sprinkle 2 tablespoons brown sugar on top of batter.
9. Bake 60 minutes.
10. Let cool about 10 minutes then gently wiggle bread out of pan and place on cooling wrack.
11. Slice and enjoy!!
Total Fat: 4g
This recipe was entered into the 8 Ingredient So Delicious and DairyFree.org recipe competition. I seriously enjoy these recipe contests, even if I don’t win, because it makes you think – I mean 8 ingredients in a recipe is tough!!