I thought with summer right around the corner, or hitting you big time in Texas already, that I would try a different kind of dessert. And with strawberries on amazing sales (thankfully) that was what my dessert was going to based around. Add a little lemon, a little mousse surprise and some salty crackers and ooh, boy, do we have an awesome Frozen Mini Strawberry Lemonade Mousse.
I got this idea originally because I had a dollar off coupon for my fave salty cracker, Crunchmaster, (and I didn’t want to just eat through the box) and from my mom who makes a pretzel-Jello dessert thing. The crackers are salty like pretzels so I figured why couldn’t these be crushed up into a salty crust type of thing…but who wants just a salty crust? Gotta have the sugar! Some Splenda brown sugar blend, a little butter and almond milk to save calories and there you go! Crush the crackers in a food processor or blender then melt butter in a smallish bowl. Add the crushed crackers, cinnamon, sugar, and milk. Mix into a crumble. Line muffin tin with cups then spoon in 1 1/2 spoonfuls of crumble then squish down with fingers. Bake at 350 for 15 minutes.
While the crusts are baking wash the strawberries and cut of the stems and slice in half then put in your washed out blender/fp. Sprinkle sugar on top then let sit while you clean up your mess and get everything else ready. Start draining the tofu. When the crusts are out of the oven then start everything else for the mousse. The reason to wait is you want the sugar to pull the yummy sugary flavor out of the strawberries. Wash the lemons then zest them over the strawberries, slice the lemons then squeeze juice in also. Sprinkle the cinnamon, add the milk, then crumble in the drained tofu. Turn on and blend until creamy, scraping sides if needed.
To the muffin cups pour the mousse. This is a simple and quick recipe – the crust takes only about 5 minutes to make then 15 to bake. The strawberry lemonade mousse happens in the 15 minutes of baking and about 5 minutes after. Then you just need to freeze them – maybe an hour or so. Once frozen they will melt pretty quick so be ready to chow down on these delicious little treats!
Mini Strawberry Lemonade Mousse,
1 Box Crunchmaster Crisps, Sea Salt Flavored
2 Tbsp Smart Balance Light Buttery Spread w/Flax Oil
3 Tbsp Splenda Brown Sugar Blend
1/2 Tsp Cinnamon
2 Tbsp So Delicious Almond Plus Vanilla Milk
2 Pounds Strawberries, washed
5 Tbsp Splenda
3 Lemons, washed and zested and squeezed
1/2 Tsp Cinnamon
1/4 C So Delicious Almond Plus Vanilla Milk
1 Cntr Nasoya Organic Extra Firm Tofu
1. Set oven to 350 degrees.
2. Dump crackers into food processor or blender and process until finely ground.
3. Melt butter in smallish bowl then add crushed crackers, 1/2 tsp cinnamon, brown sugar, and 2 tbsp milk.
4. Use a spoon and mix well.
5. Line muffin tins with paper cups then fill each cup with roughly 1 1/2 spoonfuls of crumble. Press down with fingers into flat crust.
6. Bake for 15 minutes then take out and let cool.
7. Once crumble is in the oven wash out blender/processor then wash strawberries and slice in half then add to blender/processor.
8. Add sugar than let sit while getting other ingredients out.
9. Zest lemon into blender then slice lemons and squeeze juice into it.
10. Add cinnamon, milk, and tofu and blend until creamy – stop and scrape sides if needed.
11. Pour carefully into each muffin cup then freeze about 1 hour or so.
12. Put leftovers in a covered dish and put in fridge to enjoy later.
This recipe was entered in the So Delicious Dairy Free and Go Dairy Free Spring Fling Dairy-Free recipe contest!