You know there is really nothing that spinach artichoke dip can’t go into or season up. I mean I have remade that combo into a bunch of different recipes and, yes, I have done it again. And boy have I outdone myself – cause mmm, mmm good! This time I decided to cream up the spinach artichoke goodness with cream cheese. Oh man. These vegan and gluten-free Spinach Artichoke Zucchini Boats are good!
Don’t you just love when you can make a super fattening recipe into something totally healthy. Or at least more healthy than you thought? This dip recipe is the one that I just have to remake over and over. Don’t ask me why – it’s not like I ordered this hot dip at restaurants, but there is just something about this combo that calls to be put into my recipes. And since I love both these ingredients I just feel the need to keep pairing them with something else, and into something different. This time I decided to add some creamy cream cheese to the recipe. I normally try to make it healthy by not adding cheese (except for the amazing Spinach Artichoke Mashed Potatoes) but I thought that since stuffed zuc’s are super-healthy, that we could add a little fat with vegan and gluten-free cream cheese.
Start by washing and halving the zucchini length-wise then forking the fleshy middle. Stick in the microwave with cut-side up and microwave for 6 minutes. Mince garlic and chop mushrooms small. In a saute pan pour veg broth and heat then add garlic and mushrooms. When zucchini are cool enough to handle use a spoon to scrape out the innards. Chop the zuc innards then dump into the saute pan. Add spices and mix then add spinach. Wilt spinach then drain the artichoke hearts in the sink then add the hearts to the pan and mix. Use the mixing spoon to break up the artichokes. Mix until liquid is almost gone. Add cream cheese and mash and melt until creamy. Spoon mixture into hollowed out zucchini. Sprinkle homemade breadcrumbs over topping then bake at 375 degrees for 30 minutes. Enjoy!
5 Small Zucchini, halved
1/2 C Veg Broth
6 Cloves Garlic, minced
16 oz Mushrooms, sliced small
1/2 Tsp Black Pepper
1 Tsp Thyme
2 Tsp Onion Powder
2 Tsp Oregano
1 Bag Dole Baby Spinach
1 Jar Artichoke Hearts, drained
1 Cntr Tofutti Cream Cheese
1/2 C Homemade Bread/Almond crumbs
1. Set oven to 375 degrees.
2. Wash and halve zucchini lengthwise then stick with fork down the open halves.
3. Place in microwave cut-side up and microwave for 6 minutes.
4. Mince garlic and chop mushrooms.
5. In a saute pan on medium heat pour in veg broth, garlic, and mushrooms.
6. Let heat while zucchini cool enough to touch.
7. Use a spoon to scrape out zucchini flesh then chop with a knife then dump zucchini innnards into the saute pan.
8. Dump in spices and mix then dump in bag of spinach.
9. Let spinach wilt then drain artichokes in the sink then add hearts to pan and mix using the spoon to break apart artichokes.
10. Once liquid is almost gone add cream cheese and mash and melt until combined.
11. Spray baking sheet with non-stick spray then lay zucchini on pan.
12. Fill each zucchini with mixture (will have about 1/2 cup leftover).
13. Sprinkle homemade breadcrumbs over the top.
14. Bake 30 minutes.