Who else loves Taco Tuesday but hates thinking about all those calories? A corn tortilla? The best tasting calorie-bomb ever! I love them as much as everyone else but I usually have calorie guilt which makes me not eat them. Give me a sweet potato stuffed with vegan and gluten-free Taco Sloppy Lentils Joes any day.
How is it while growing up I hated lentil soup? Granted it was baby poop green and made with a ham hock, but nowadays I’ll eat those lentils any vegan way I can get them. Luckily this months Recipe Redux theme was Taco Tuesday and I love using my sodium-free homemade taco seasoning on everything. Simple ingredients and lentils? Stuffing them into a hot sweet potato? Heaven in a bowl right there!
This is so simple to make and only takes about an hour total – and so easy to turn into a soup, too! Start by getting the lentils into a pot with a 1/2 c less stock – so 2 cups lentils and 3 1/2 cups stock. Bring to a boil then simmer until cooked. While that’s working finely chop the green onions and red peppers and saute in a little stock. At the minced jalapeño and sliced kale. Dump in the taco seasoning and smoked paprika and mix and stir. Add the tomato and mix again and let cook a few minutes. Dump in the lentils and mix and let simmer about 10 minutes. Microwave your sweet potato then split and spoon in your lentil Joes! Enjoy!
Taco Sloppy Lentil Joes,
2 C Red Lentils
1 Cntr Imagine Low-Sodium No-Chicken Stock
1 Bunch Green Onions
2 Large Red Peppers
1 Bunch Kale
2 Tsp Smoked Paprika
1 Tbsp Taco Seasonin
28oz Can Muir Glen Tomato Puree
1. Dump lentils and 3 1/2 cups stock into a small pot and bring to a boil. Lower heat to a simmer until cooked.
2. Chop greem onions and red peppers into small pieces.
3. Add the last if the stock to a large saute pan and dump in the veggies. begin sauteeing.
4. Seed and mince the jalapenos and add to the pan.
5. Slice the kale very thin and add to the pan with the seasoning.
6. Mix really well then add the tomato puree and mix.
7. Cook a few minutes to combine the flavors then add the lentils and mix.
8. Cook about ten minutes. Microwave the potatoes while the lentils cook.
9. Portion out and enjoy!