It’s another holiday-esque Fall into Winter season breakfasty casserole. This one uses the Fall veggie butternut squash as the base with a little diced up vegan sausage for some meaty goodness, add some veggies and a cream cheesey sauce, a little quinoa and done. This pulls together really easy, just saute the veggies to soften then bake for an hour and yum. Add a little fruit on the side and you’ve got yourself a great breakfast or brunch casserole. Here is a yummy Vegan Butternut Sausage Breakfast Casserole for your holidays.
Do you have a ton of family coming in for the holidays? Or getting together with some friends for a low-key day? A breakfast casserole is the perfect thing for a filling meal to last you until the big eating event. Or to just last until later cause you will be too full to eat! Serve some fruit with this casserole and you have a perfect meal. This casserole is full of chopped butternut squash – the first time I haven’t roasted it, just cut the skin off and scooped out the innards and diced – and tons of veggies, some oh-so-yummy Tofurky sausage (it almost didn’t make it in the casserole, I was snacking on it while doing the veggies), quinoa, and some creamy sauce. Bake and yum. And just so you know, to make this gluten-free just omit the sausage or use some GF beefless crumbles … mmmm, that would be good too!
Start by chopping the onion, celery, carrots, garlic, and mushrooms then saute with broth in a large saute pan over medium-low heat. While that is cooking, slice off sides of butternut squash and chop into small pieces and add to pan, stir and add a little more broth if needed, then put lid on. Wash up and chop kale; pour onion and squash mix into a large baking dish then add kale to the pan. Add stock and use tongs to move around. Put lid on to steam but be sure to mix so it doesn’t stick to the bottom and burn; only steam a few minutes, you just want to wilt the kale a little. Dump kale into baking dish. In pan add butter and melt then add flour and mix then add broth and let thicken. Add all spices, vinegar, Worcestershire, and tamari and whisk in. Add cream cheese and whisk gently in. Add in sausage and quinoa and mix to cover. Turn off heat and pour sauce mix over veggies and mix carefully in baking dish. Bake at 350 degrees for 55 minutes. And yes, the quinoa will soften up in the gooey sauce and everything will be so yummy!
1 Yellow Onion, chopped
3 Stalks Celery, chopped
2 Large Carrots, chopped
2 Cntrs Mushrooms, chopped
6 Cloves Garlic, minced
1 Butternut Squash, chopped
1 Bunch Kale, chopped
1 Cntr Pacific Foods Low Sodium Vegetable Broth
2 Tbsp Vegan Butter
3 Tbsp Bobs Red Mill Gluten-Free All Purpose Flour
2 Tbsp Dried Oregano
2 Tbsp Dried Chives
1 Tsp Black Pepper
2 Tbsp Homemade Vegan Worcestershire Sauce
2 Tbsp San-J Gluten-Free Tamari Sauce
1 Tbsp Star Fine Foods Balsamic Vinegar
1 Cntr Go Veggie! Plain Cream Cheese
1 Pkg Tofurky Kielbasa, chopped
1/2 C Ancient Harvest Quinoa
1. Set oven to 350 degrees.
2. Chop onions, celery, carrots, mushrooms, and mince garlic. Add veg broth to a large saute pan then dump all veggies in. Cook over medium-low heat.
3. Slice off skin of butternut squash and scoop out innards. Chop into chunks and add to veggie pan. Put lid on pan, adding more broth if needed.
4. Wash and chop kale. Pour veggies into a baking dish then add kale to the pan with veg broth and put lid on to steam kale until just wilted. Be sure to mix so it doesn’t burn.
5. Chop sausage into small pieces.
6. Pour kale into baking dish with other veggies.
7. In pan melt butter then add flour and whisk then add 2 cups veg broth and whisk adding more if too thick. Add spices, Worcestershire, vinegar, and tamari and whisk. Add cream cheese and gently whisk in.
8. Add in chopped sausage and quinoa and mix in.
9. Pour everything over veggies and carefully mix.
10. Bake 55 minutes.