Sometimes you just get bored with eating the same things – which has pretty much been my theme this month. Finding new things to eat since I’m getting tired of the same-old-same-old. Instead of recreating an old favorite or just something I’ve made a ton of times before, I decided to make something I never really ate much of before. Something that other people have probably had tons of times, but not me. How about some vegan and gluten-free Italian Sloppy Lentil Wraps?
Well one thing I haven’t made ever, or that we ever really ate while growing up are sloppy joes. Since this is a super-simple meat meal it’s kind of surprising wasn’t in my families dinner rotation while growing up, but nope. Very rarely ate them. So what is someone to do when they are in a rut? Make something they’ve rarely eaten and change it up while they’re at it. Lentils? Why yes, why not? Normally when you see sloppy Joe’s on websites they are recreated with mushrooms – well I wanted something different, healthy, fiberous, and filling. Lentils were it. And these aren’t your normal Joe’s either. Nope – I decided that to keep in line with the Elimination Diet I’d make a red pepper sauce instead of using tomatoes. And I made this an Italian sloppy Joe – it turned out so good that I was just eating it with a spoon!
Start by making your lentils – dump lentils in a pot and fill with water until water is about an inch over the lentils. Let cook about 20 minutes because you still want a little bite and they will cook a little longer in the sauce. Drain and dump back into the pot until you’re ready for them – and if you’re lucky to have a smaller colander that lets you drain smaller things feel good because … yes, I put coffee filters in my colander to keep my lentils from going down the drain. Chop your veggies small then dump in a pan with a little olive oil and saute while making the sauce. If needed add a little stock to keep things from sticking or burning. In a blender dump the stock, peppers, vinegar’s, maple syrup, and herbs and whirl until completely liquefied. Once veggies are browned pour in the sauce and turn to medium heat to get sauce heated and melding flavors. Dump in lentils and mix and turn to low heat and let cook about 20 minutes. Then just portion out and enjoy over some leafy lettuce … or by spoon. Enjoy!
Sloppy Lentil Wraps,
2 C Red Lentils
2 Pkgs Mushrooms, chopped small
1 Yellow Onion, chopped small
2 Green Peppers, chopped small
2 Tbsp Minced Garlic
1 Tsp Black Pepper
3 Red Peppers
3 C Imagine Foods Vegetarian No-Chicken Broth
2 Tbsp Oregano
2 Tbsp Parsley
1 Tbsp Basil
2 Tsp Rosemary
2 Tsp Thyme
2 Tbsp Star Fine Foods Balsamic Vinegar
2 Tbsp Star Fine Foods White Wine Vinegar
2 Tbsp Maple Syrup
1. Dump lentils in a small pot and cover with water about an inch. Turn heat to high and bring to a boil then lower to a simmer and let cook until the lentils have a little bite to them – about 20 minutes. Drain then dump back in the pot.
2. Chop onion, peppers, and mushrooms into small pieces. Dump into a saute pan with a little olive oil, the black pepper and garlic, and turn to medium heat. Saute until veggies are soft and brown, adding veggie stock as needed so things don’t burn.
3. In a blender pour in the stock, roughly chopped red peppers, herbs, vinegar’s, and maple syrup and cover. Turn on and let liquefy.
4. Pour sauce into the saute pan and bring to a boil then lower heat to low-medium.
5. Dump in the lentils and mix well. Let cook about 20 minutes.
6. Portion out and enjoy!